The Pop'Comm Monitoring Station program is modeled after the renowned WPE program launched by Popular Electronics magazine more than 50 years ago. The program was run by Tom Kneitel, WPE2AB, who would go on to become founding editor of Popular Communications in 1983. Pop'Comm launched its monitoring station program January 1, 2012, filling a void left by the passing of the WPE program and Popular Electronics magazine.
Pop’Comm Monitoring Station ID signs are issued on a first-come basis, determined by the date and time on your application email or the postmark of the request you send via the U.S. Postal Service. You may choose a “vanity” station ID or simply say “No Preference,” and we’ll pick a station ID sign for you.
Here is the procedure for obtaining a station identification sign:
- Watch the video below “Getting Your Pop’Comm Monitoring Station ID Sign.”
- Read through the written instructions posted under the video - STEPS 1, 2, 3 and 4. They're easy and the process takes only a few minutes.
- Follow the instructions for accessing and searching the Pop’Comm Monitoring Station database. Search for the availability of your station ID sign preferences by clicking on the link in STEP 1.
- After determining your top three station ID sign choices that are available, look at the sample email of application in STEP 2. Create your application email and send it to: <PopCommMonitor@gmail.com>.
- Return to the database to see which station ID has been assigned you. We will process applications as quickly as possible. Please be patient.
- Only after your station ID sign, name, location, and date of issuance appear in the database, will you be officially certified as a Pop’Comm Monitoring Station. Only then may you download and fill in your colorful Certificate of Registration.
- If you do not have access to the Internet, send a self-addressed, stamped business-size envelope with your full name, mailing address, your top three station ID sign choices and a daytime phone number to: Jason Feldman, WPC2COD, Popular Communications, Monitoring Station Program, 25 Newbridge Rd., Hicksville, NY 11801-2953 USA.
- Now, let's get started by watching the video. We're eager to welcome you as a member of the Pop'Comm Monitoring Station community.